Followers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

California or Bust!

The other day, while attempting to figure out how to download ringtones and music to my new cell phone -- praying my teenage sons don't walk by and become disillusioned as they hear me curse at the phone and online directions, discovering their computer-geek-mother might be feeling aged by the latest technology -- I find the perfect song! I've not figured out how to get it onto my type of cell phone, but I'll get there in time. Sigh!

So…I LOVE this song! By Ferras, "Hollywood's Not America"

Though I am not a movie star lured by the Hollywood lights, it speaks to the native California-girl in me, and how she is often in conflict with the Midwest-mom" – now very much apart of me.

As we prepare to head back to visit California for the first time in four years, and at the 10 year mark of our departure from O.C., I cannot help but be mystically driven to get to the Pacific Ocean, to family, friends, my roots.

Yet, on the other hand, when asked where I am from, I find myself no longer sure how to answer. “Where is home?" Until Michigan, the answer was easy, “California!” I would say without hesitation. However, I've noticed that lately I am not as quick to say, "California!" Like I might not be accepted, considered a Midwest trader or something!

The Midwest is a funny place, for many reasons. You can't help but be amused by it, especially mid-Michigan folks. In Owosso, we are smack in the middle of several Big 10 Colleges, of which every other person you walk by, there is a loyal fan of one or the other. Deathly loyal I might add! You have to be careful who you admit you are rooting for in the next big basketball or football game. You have to learn when to lie and say you are neutral, when to say “Go State!” (MSU, Lansing, 45 minutes south), and when to say “Why Michigan! Of course!” (U of M, Flint, 30 minutes east).

Recently it dawned on me why folks in the Midwest are so fiercely dedicated and loyal to "their team." Colleges don't get up and move to the next city or state with a bigger wallet, or bigger stadium! Honestly, I can't recall off the top of my head, where the Ram's call home any more!

Though we are not big on watching college sports, we enjoy the generally playful jabbing and banter back and forth, daily, as people talk and talk and talk about "their team". It is as much a part of the daily fabric of the Midwest, as asking about the weather yesterday, the weather today, the weather tomorrow...

Just like when dealing with the MSU verses U of M folks all about us, we are not always sure if it is safe to say, “We Love Michigan!” Though we’ve had two homes here, we’ve been here four years, as long as any other state we’ve lived in aside from California. California is home, but it does not look like home until we drive up to the home of family and see the faces of loved ones. Then and only then is it home. It surely does not look or feel like the California I loved and adored in my youth, but then again, I don’t look or feel like I did then either. We’ve both matured and like the additional toll roads and highways added to the coastline, I have wrinkles and lines showing on my face and my hair is nearly pure white.

We will enjoy our visit with family and friends – we can hardly wait to get there!

First stop: St. George, Utah on Sunday, June 29.

Second stop: Mission Viejo, California on Monday, July 7.

Adjoining Photos: Tonight we finalized the purchase of our new (used) 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Limited. Thank goodness it is fully loaded with a DVD player and 6 disc CD changer! One more way to keep the boys occupied as we drive the 1,200 miles! Not to mention the extra leg room now that they are both measuring at just under 5’ 10”! Wish me luck on getting them to help pack the van without them trying sneak the Xbox on board!

California or Bust! (And with these gas prices it might be both that happens -- YIKES!)



No comments: